Friday, February 20, 2009

Cute pics and an update

Hello everyone! I wanted to post some new pictures of the boys-they are just so cute and love to give love. We are so blessed! Parker is trying to walk behind his push toy and it is so awesome! Ian shows us everyday how smart and funny he is....we are proud.

They have both been fairly healthy since the hospitalizations but both have a little virus this weekend. Hopefully we can head off any trips to the emergency room :) On their health, just to update..... Parker went to the Neurologist on Monday for a follow up. The doctor said that since Parker still has muscle weakness and developmental delays he wanted to rule out other possibilities for these delays. He has had an MRI which was completely normal. He is wanting to test for other neurological "disorders" that may be causing his delays. I believe there is nothing wrong except that both Parker and Ian have low muscle tone. Anyway, we were given a choice of either doing a nerve conductor test on Parker or on me. Now, I am still very confused about it all but I will be tested to see if I am a symptomless carrier of this Neuromuscular problem. If I am a carrier then Parker will be tested genetically for this. My doing the test saves Parker the discomfort of the test. The nerve conductor test (called EMG) would give the doctors an idea if Parker has a Neurological problem called Myotonic Dystrophy. I have linked to this disorder because I still can't understand what exactly it is. It has something to do with the 19th chromosome and duplications of the long arm and x linked? but beyond that I am a little confused.

On March 6th, Ian has his second Cystic Fibrosis test and a genetic screening. The genetic screening will take about 21 days to come back we were told, but it is a lot more definitive than the "gold standard" sweat test. Should not be a gold standard test when it is unreliable I say. I will update when we know anything about both Ian and Parker's tests.

Enjoy the pictures!










4 comments:

Liz said...

Thanks for the updates. Hopefully all these tests will give you guys some definitive answers and a plan of action (if one is needed). Your boys are so blessed to have YOU as their mom!!!

The pictures are adorable. Way to go Parker! I especially love that last black and white picture. So sweet!!

The Hines Family said...

Praying you will get answers soon. I love the new pictures of the boys! :-)

Tara said...

Go Parker, go!! What a big boy :) Thinking of you and the boys often!

Annie Beth said...

Has anyone told you Parker looks like you?