Saturday, June 19, 2010

Big update

Hello to all our readers...I am not sure who all follows us but it is time for a big update. The last few weeks have been very, very busy! Since my last update school has ended (yeah), moved out of our house in Charlotte, moved into a rental house in Monroe (a very big blessing as it is so nice), celebrated my 35th birthday, celebrated Dad's 55th birthday, visited with Ed and Sally Hacking, and celebrated Father's Day.

We have had to make some very difficult decisions lately in regards to finances and the boys.

We decided that, as the medical bills were so insurmountable, we consulted a lawyer and filed for bankruptcy. I am putting this out here on my blog as I think people should know what the average person is facing these days through no fault of their own. In the past 5 years we have incurred $40,000 in medical bills just from the boys and their special needs. We have been denied Medicaid (for no real reason!) and our insurance has only minimally covered our expenses. We were trying so hard for the past few years just to pay the bills and cover medical expenses that we barely had any money left over for food and living expenses. We had the house on the market for 2 years as we felt if we sold the house we would be better off financially. Our plan was to rent a house close to my job. We tried loan modification, selling it for full value, listing it for short sale and the list goes on but nothing ever worked. In April we did have 2 offers on the house as a short sale but the bank decided against the offer and we lost our buyer. It was that decision from the bank that sent us right back to square one! How could they decide against selling the house to a motivated buyer even if it was for less the appraised value? The next day we decided to consult an attorney about the situations we were facing. He made us feel better that we could file for bankruptcy and roll the house into the bankruptcy. By doing this we avoided Foreclosure (which would have caused the bank to take legal action against us) and would give the house back to the bank legally. Our credit is already messed up and will be from the bankruptcy so rolling the house into it seemed the right decision.

We filed for the bankruptcy a few weeks later and began looking for rental property close to my job. Hyrum was laid off in February and this has further hurt us financially. We wanted to move close to my job for many reasons..one of which was saving in gas. We looked at LOTS of rental houses and were discouraged as most of them were either way too expensive or really nasty (dead dog? huh? you really want to rent to decent people?). I decided to pray about it and not get discouraged. About mid May a friend/co-worker from school told me about a house for rent about 2 minutes from school. It was beautiful and literally would save us $400 a month from our old house. It is owned by a couple who worked in the same school system I do. Many of my friends told them about us and our good character. We told her our entire situation and she even pulled our credit report. I guess being good people and being honest pays off. She chose us to rent their house and were, surprisingly to me, very happy that we were going to rent their house.

We ended up moving into the rental house 1 day after school ended. As of today we are finally completely out of the old house and pretty much settled in the new one. It was a very difficult time for the boys but I think they are very happy and seem to love the new house. We love the new house too and everyday tell each other how blessed we are to have found such a nice home for our family. I actually feel better today, this morning, then I have in at least a year. Seems silly when we are facing a bankruptcy but I feel relief.

As for the boys, both went to UNC Chapel Hill for evaluations from their Developmental Learning Center. Parker went in April and Ian went in March. The reports were 23 pages long and way too much info to share but I will share what has come of the evaluations. Ian's report recommended he have evaluations for OT and PT to look at possible SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) and Visual Motor disorder along with the OCD and hyperactivity. We had him evaluated at Carolina's Medical Center-Union county. He was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder and delays in fine and gross motor skills. He started receiving therapy this week! Yeah! Parker is still having difficulty gaining weight and has delays in fine and gross motor skills along with speech delays. We are transferring his services from Mecklenburg County to Union County. I am very excited about the opportunities for the boys here in Union County. First, we have changed Pediatricians which is a good thing. Ian will have therapy and hopefully a good start before beginning Kindergarten in July. Parker will have the opportunity to transfer from the Union County Children's Developmental Services to Union Counties special needs Preschool when he is 3. Thank God for this as he will be able to continue his therapies and attend Preschool for FREE!

We are still continuing Hippotherapy but poor Charlie has a hurt foot so we will start back in a few weeks.

Well, now that I think everyone has been updated here are some pictures from the past few weeks, including our new house.

Fun with the Harlow's


Sweet brothers



Playing ball with Grandpa Ed :)


Playing ball with Grandpa Hacking :)

A sweet moment


Trouble?

Grandpa Ed, Sally, me, and the boys

With Grandpa

Dad with his Dad and Sally

Mom and Dad with Sally and Ed

Happy 55th Birthday Dad!




Ian in front of the new rental house

Parker playing ball in the yard



The kids love the new backyard!

Livingroom

Dining room/kitchen

Kitchen

Front of our house

Family picture

1 comment:

Be Strong in the Lord said...

Happy Birthday, Allie! I did not know we had missed your birthday. When was it?

The new house looks really nice.

I am sorry that I was sick and did not get to go to Mama Martha's birthday party last night and consequently did not get to talk to you all over the video link.

I know how stress (of any kind or of multiple kinds at the same time) can weigh on you. I want you to know that I am praying for you. I believe God wants to encourage you.

May God bless.
Cherold