Monday, December 22, 2008

A good deed

Some wonderful children at the school where I teach made some Christmas get well cards for the children at Lavine's Children's Hospital here in Charlotte. This is the same hospital that both Ian and Parker have stayed at. I arranged with the hospitals Child Life director to deliver the cards. The Child Life volunteers are amazing and make being in the hospital a little more pleasant. They supplied Ian with colors and coloring books, myself with coffee, snacks, a rocking chair, and even let me go to the bathroom while they held the little fellows. They arrange all kinds of fun games and crafts for the children who are able. This is such a nice thing for the caregivers and the children. Ian and Parker came along to the hospital and delivered the 60 or so cards. We could not deliver them to the children but were able to make sure they would be given to the children. The cards were beautiful and had the most precious messages. The director was so kind and gracious to accept these cards. She said they would be distributed on Tuesday when Santa came. When we got there Ian knew the place right away and made sure to ask if he was staying. I reassured him, no. We talked about what we were bringing to the children and Ian asked the lady if he could go with her. Ian wanted to make the "children who were sick be happy" I am so amazed at the beautiful cards our school's children made-they will make each child who receives them so happy. I want to also be sure to thank the many staff members from school who assisted the children in making the cards. I work with a wonderful group of people. Below is a picture of the baskets of cards and a picture with the director , myself, and Parker. Ian was too shy to come to the picture.

While we were in the lobby I saw so many children coming and going. I am so incredibly thankful that both my babies are doing well now. Please keep all the families in your hearts who have loved ones sick or in the hospital this holiday and especially those who have experienced loss. Life gets crazy and sometimes I feel overwhelmed and frustrated about little things. I really am grateful for all I have. Friends and family I am close to have been through loss. I think about them a lot and have learned to not take a moment for granted.

Blessings everyone!



No comments: